Ulinzi Stars FC CEO Maj. Godwin Baraza has assured the team will handle the 2018 Shield competition with the deserved seriousness, after attending the tournament’s launch on Monday 21st May, which saw the team paired with Kitale based side, Trasnmillan FC.
It will be an away game for Ulinzi Stars in the first round of the competition, which will be staged on the first weekend of June and Major Baraza, reacting to the draw, termed it an exciting pairing and cautioned against underrating the little known side.
“It is an exciting draw; we will be going to Kitale and it is an interesting game considering these are two very different teams. Last time we went to Kabarnet in this tournament and we saw the excitement the team had to play Ulinzi Stars and one thing to note is that such teams really push themselves. So this a good draw.
“Every team goes to these games to win; it is a knockout competition and there may be surprises but we want to cushion ourselves from that,” he said.
In 2017 the team took part in the Confederations Cup courtesy of finishing second in the same competition and this time round, he says the side is directed to give their best for a chance to represent Kenya in the continental showpiece again.
“We will be 100% focused on this tournament because it comes with a good offer – that of playing continental football. Last year when we played in the Confederations Cup it was because of this competition and we want to go even further.
“We have good support from the management; our sponsors The KDF, Elitebet are all looking at a situation where Kenya will be represented by Ulinzi Stars so we will not let them down,” he added.